We wanted to speak a little bit more about our diversity drive.
- It was not clear whether or not the tickets were available for the LGBTQ community.
- The free tickets felt a bit like ‘ladies’ night’ at a disco to some people.
- Some people felt that by focussing on women, we were forgetting other minority groups.
In retrospect, these points are fair, and in our continuing efforts to learn with the community we hope to make our intentions clear in this post. We were very lucky in that some of the people who gave us feedback were also willing to enter into productive conversations with us.
As the result of those conversations let us make our diversity policy clear:
The 100% discount code COMEONECOMEALL is valid for anyone from any minority group
This brings up two important questions:
- How do we define which groups are minority and which are not?
- How will we check this with a publicly available 100% discount code?
The answer to both of the questions above is very simple. You can decide for yourself. If you believe that you belong to a group that is underrepresented in the world of software you can come for free.
As with every step that we’ve taken so far, some people will love this, and some people will not. All we hope is that those who do not agree with approach will be kind enough to share their thoughts with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.